Monday, March 28, 2011

Bad case of the Mondays...

Some days just don't go as planned. And Mondays seem exceptionally prime for errors. Today, was a long, drawn-out struggle with my exhausted, whiny, irrationally inconsolable three-year-old son.

It started off as any other typical day - get breakfast, get dressed, get out the door. We were even running ahead of schedule. And for the record, running ahead of schedule on a Monday is a GIANT win.

But whining ensued and eventually took over the day. After all the fits, he lost his privilege of watching his newest favorite show: How to Train a Dragon. This caused more crying fits. Then, I insisted he take a nap after he ate lunch. More screaming, crying fits. He got in trouble because he wouldn't stay in his room. Even more fits. It just continued to escalate as the day progressed (or regressed).

I was so relieved to hear my husband's keys in the door tonight. He was even making dinner - hotdogs for the kids and brauts for us. (I knew I loved that man.)

Days like these leave me struggling to find the positives. But they exist.
  1. I'm thankful that these days are so few. It's rare that I have days like this that involve a long drawn-out battle like this with my kids.
  2. I'm grateful that I have a partner who I can "tag" into this wrestling match of a day. His fresh perspective yields a patience that I lost somewhere along the way. Even after a long day at work, he's happy to jump in and help.
  3. I'm relieved to know that my son is happily snoring away in his room.
  4. My family is incredibly blessed - my biggest complaint today was that my son had a poor attitude. Just one quick perusal of the daily news is enough to know there are a lot of people out there with much more important concerns. My temporary bad day is so small in scale.
So, as irritating as a Monday can be, I'm glad that tomorrow is TUESDAY. I'm nearly certain it'll be a much better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment